What could possibly be better than the perfect bowl of chewy Udon noodle combined with tender moist beef short ribs, umami full slurp of Dashi soup, and a hint of Shiitake mushroom?
In the last week of Food Passport series in Japan, I would like to share with you my family favourite recipe for a rainy day that never fails to warm us up – Udon Noodle and Braised Beef Short Ribs.
Beef Short Ribs are not only perfect for barbecue, but also absolutely delicious when you slowly braise it with tender loving care. Due to its beautiful natural marbling that runs across the meat, after long hours of cooking, it is simply melted into the meat, “season” the meat with the most amazing flavour. This helps the meat become very succulent and tender. But if you only drop the raw meat straight to the soup, you will not get the best out of it. By searing the ribs with high heat, you will create more concentrated taste to the soup, trapping all the juice inside the meat, so even after cooking it for a long time, the meat will not be dry and hard. The Beef Short Ribs really add another dimension to our Dashi base soup, it is delightfully tasty and this recipe is not that hard to make as well. The long braising time will be worthwhile to create the most perfect Udon Noodle and Braised Beef Short Ribs.
Last but not least, this recipe is also great for Shabu Shabu night with family and friends. So what are you waiting for? Let’s join me in the kitchen!!!
(Recipe video below)
Udon & Braised Beef Short Ribs
Serving 2 people
|Prep time||Cook time|
|15 mins||2 hours|
|Beef short ribs||800gm|
|Dried kelp||1 sheet|
|Kikkoman soy sauce||125ml|
1. Cut the the naba cabbage into bite size pieces set aside. Using only the white part of the leek, cut into thick slices. Crush and peel garlics. Cut the dried kelp into pieces.
2. Rehydrate the Shiitake mushroom with some hot water. Keep the mushroom water.
3. Season both side of the short ribs with salt and pepper. Place a pot over high heat. When the pot is hot, add some oil. Then start searing the short ribs.
4. Caramelized one side first then do the same to the other side.
5. When the ribs are nicely seared, add sugar, Mirin, Kikkoman soy sauce, Shiitake mushroom, mushroom water. Bring to the boil and stir to nicely coat the ribs.
6. Add sliced leeks, and garlic into the pot. Then add the Dashi stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer, cover with a lid and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
7. Meanwhile, cook the Udon follow package instruction.
8. When the meat is tender, then add naba cabbage, brown mushroom (optional) to the pot.
9. Scoop the soup over the Udon noodles, add the Braised Beef Short Ribs, naba cabbage. Garnish with some thinly leeks and brown mushroom. Enjoy while it hot !!!