In Chinese cookery, Chicken Stock plays a very important role. Not only it helps to bring a more in-depth flavour, natural umami taste, but also a foundation for a lot of tasty recipes. Fortunately, Chinese Chick Stock is very easy to make. It only requires two ingredients: Chicken bones and water.
I guess you are really surprised by how simple it is, right? The reason is, as mentioned above, Chinese people use Chicken Stock in the majority of their dishes, so they want to keep it as “pure” as possible. You will not want to add other ingredients, like ginger, onion or garlic to the stock, as this will alter the taste. For example, if a dish already has ginger in it, by using a ginger-flavoured chicken stock, the ginger taste will now overpower the other ingredients, causing imbalance in taste. We can always add in what we prefer afterwards, as removing unwanted flavour is very difficult.
|Prep time||Cook time|
|5 mins||4 hours|
1. Add the chicken bones to a stock pot. Cover it with cold water
2. Place the pot over high heat and bring to the boil.
3. When boiling, turn off the heat, then strain out the bones and discard the water and scum. Then wash the pot, and place the chicken bones back in. This step will help to archive a crystal clear stock.
4. After that add water enough to cover the bones again.
5. Place the pot over low heat, place a lid loosely over the pot to let the water evaporate through the gap while simmering. Simmer the stock for 4 hours.
6. After 4 hours, turn off the heat, and remove the bones from the stock. There you have it, crystal clear Chicken Stock that ready for any recipes. Store in the fridge for 1 week or 3 to 4 months in freezer.