Woh! My holiday in Melbourne was fantastic. I got to try a lot of new tasty dishes that really inspired me and I gained some weight along the way as well haha. The most memorable thing for me was I got to see snow for the first time in my life. If you want me to share with you, my whole Melbourne experience let me know in the comments.
Being back from early this week, I think it is a good idea to start with a recipe that is really simple and yet packed with flavour. The dish I want to share with you today is Teriyaki Steak with broccoli and steamed rice.
I will be using sirloin for this recipe but of course, you can use your choice of cut. My tip for cooking steak is that you should take it out from the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking and let it rest after cooking it. Firstly, it will bring your steak up to room temperature, hence the steak will be cooked evenly. Secondly, letting the steak rest before slicing into it will help retain all the juice; as a result, your steak will be more tender and juicy with every bite.
Let’s put on our apron and head to the kitchen!
(Recipe video below)
1. Take the steaks out of the fridge. Cut the garlic into thin slices. Rub some cooking oil and thinly sliced garlic over the steaks and let it marinade.
2. Cut the broccoli into bite size pieces. Bring a pot of water to the boil. Seasoning with salt. When the water is boling, add the cut broccoli and cook until they are ready. Remove from the pot and straight into ice water to stop overcooking.
3. In the same pot, bring the water to the boil again. When boiling, add 2 room temperature eggs. For perfect soft boiled eggs, cook them for 6 minutes then add to ice cold water.
4. Remove the garlic from the steaks, save it for later. Place a pan over high heat. When the pan is nice and hot, add a little bit of oil. turn down the gas to medium heat. Then add in the steak.
5. Cook the steak to your referred doneness. Just before reach yours doneness, add the Teriyaki sauce and start basting the meat with the sauce. Until it coat the meat perfectly and your Teriyaki Steak is done.
6. Let the meat rest, meanwhile add some oil into the pan, then add the sliced garlic. Medium heat, let the oil slowly heat up together with the garlic. Stir frequently until the garlic turn golden. Remove from the oil and the garlic chips are done.
7. Slice your steaks, peel and cut the eggs in half, assemble together with the broccoli over steamed rice. Drizzle the Teriyaki sauce from the steaks, sprinkle the garlic chips and enjoy!!!