By: Culinary Frank
Description: If you live in Singapore, you can have Hainanese Chicken Rice anytime and anywhere. This delicious dish fits the definition of comfort food perfectly: Accessible - Simple - Cheap - Delicious. I have such passion for this dish not only because of its flavourful rice and succulent chicken pieces...
Time to prepare the recipe: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 50 minutes
Duration: 65 minutes
Have you ever make bread with just two ingredients? How about not even using the oven? Sounds too simple to be true right? But trust me, once you learn how to make the most beautiful and fresh homemade Flatbread, you will want to say goodbye to the store-bought ones.
Flatbread is the oldest type of bread that had been made by mankind, dating back to 6000 years ago. Today more than 1.8 billion people around the world eat traditional flatbread regularly. Each country has its own style of Flatbreads, such as Indian Chapati, Mexican Tortilla or Naan in some Southeast Asian countries.
The aforementioned duo combo that I used in this recipe are Self-raising Flour and Yogurt. If you wonder what self-raising flour is, it is simply flour that contains baking powder. In case it isn’t available in your place, no sweat, just combine 4 cups of all purpose flour with 2 tablespoons of baking powder and a little bit of salt and voilà!
To pair with my homemade Flatbread, I made a nutritious avocado spread and a textural addition to the game – crispy-edged, sunny side up egg. You can say it is my take on the trendy Avocado on Toasts, the Avocado on Flatbread haha. Pre-make Flatbread and you will have a delicious, chef-made breakfast in no time.
(Recipe video below)
Avocado on Flatbread
Serving 2 people
|Prep time||Cook time|
|25 mins||5 mins|
A. Flatbread dough:
|Self-raising flour:||2 cups|
|Plain yogurt||1 cup|
Olive for prevend the dough from sticking and dry.
B. Avocado spread:
|Juice of 1 lime|
Fresh basil for garnish
1. Add Self-raising flour and yogurt in a large bowl, season with some salt, a touch of olive oil. Mix well to combine.
2. When all the ingredients are combined and formed a dough. Place the dough into a floured surface and start kneading.
3. You do not need to knead the dough too much, just until it is does not stick to the table any more. Add some olive oil into a bowl, place the dough in there, brush some olive oil onto the dough to prevent dry out.
4. While letting the dough rest, we can make the avocado spread. Mash the avocados until smooth. Small dice the tomato then add into the bowl with the avocodos. Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze in the lime juice, olive oil and mix to combine.
5. Lightly floured a surface, divide the dough into 5 equal smaller doughs. Roll each dough to form a circular shape. Press down, then flour the rolling pin, and roll the dough until nice and flat.
6. Heat up a non-stick pan over medium high heat. You do not need to add any oil. Cook each side of the dough for 2 minutes. Then your Flatbread is done!
Spread the avocado over hot Flatbread, serve up with crispy fried sunny side up egg, a spoon of yogurt. And your breakfast is done!