“Can I have a Grilled Pork with Meat Loaf and an fried egg please…Oh and can I have a watercress soup as well please!”
Yep, that is my “traditional combo” when I go to my favourite Vietnamese Broken Rice stall. Have you ever try the authentic one yet? If you have a chance to travel to Vietnam, especially in Saigon city, this is a must! Beside Phở, Vietnamese Broken Rice (Cơm Tấm) is probably the most popular street food in my country. We enjoy it in any meal of the day, from breakfast to dinner, Cơm Tấm will always put a smile on your face.
Last week Jenny had shared with you a way to cook the Grilled Pork without using charcoal, this week join her again in the kitchen as she will cook up another Vietnamese iconic dish – Vietnamese Meatloaf (Chả Trứng).
(Recipe video above)
Serving 2-4 people
|Prep time||Cook time|
|15 mins||50 mins|
|Eggs||4 whole eggs|
Salt, pepper to taste
3 beaten egg yolks for the surface coating
Preheat the oven to 170*C
1. Soak the rice vermicelli and black fungus mushroom in hot water. Around 2 minutes, then cut the rice vemicelli into segments, thinly slice the black fungus mushroom.
2. Spring onion wash, remove the stem then thinly slice.
3. Add the minced pork into a larg enough mixing bowl. Add the rice vermicelli, black fungus and spring onion. Break into the bowl 4 whole eggs, add sugar, fish sauce and season with a bit of salt, pepper.
4. Mixing all the ingredients together, until all is combined. Brush a thin layer of oil in you baking mold/dish, then pour the mixture into mold.
5. Place the baking mold/dish into a deep baking tray, add some water to the tray. This is a steam bake method, which will keep the meat moist.
6. Place the tray into the preheated oven and steam bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes.
7. While waiting for the meatloaf to be cooked, seperate 3 egg yolks and beat it up.
8. After 45 minutes, carefully remove the baking mold/dish out of the oven. Then pour the beaten egg yolks over the surface of the meatloaf.
9. Return it to the oven and steam bake for another 5 minutes and it is done!
Enjoy it with Grilled Pork, fried egg and your Vietnamese Broken Rice dish (Cơm Tấm) is perfect!