When it comes to Thai cuisine, Tom Yum is probably one of the most iconic dishes of the country. Join me in the kitchen today, as I am sharing with you my recipe for a delicious bowl of Tom Yum.
You will be surprised as Tom Yum ingredients are actually common and easy to find in almost any markets. It is including lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, tomatoes, mushroom and chillies. Base on your choice of protein Tom Yum will be named differently such as Tom Yum Gai (Tom Yum with Chicken) or Tom Yum Goong (Tom Yum with Prawns). Tom Yum Goong is the recipe that I will share with you today.
One of the key ingredients for the most beautiful, heartwarming bowl of Tom Yum Goong is its stock. Prawn stock is really necessary for this recipe, as it will give you more depth of flavour in Tom Yum soup and that “prawnilicious” flavour that we all love. After made the Pad Thai (last week’s recipe), I save all of the prawn shells as well as the heads in the freezer in order to make this stock. It may take an extra step to make the stock, but trust me, it will worth your while.
(Recipe video coming this Saturday)
Serving 2 people
|Prep time||Cook time|
|20 mins||20 mins|
|Kaffir lime leaves||3 leaves|
prawn, mushroom, tomatoes, fish cake, instant noodles
1. Cut the lemongrass into thin slices, as well as galangal. Peel and crush the garlic
2. Place a pot over medium heat, when the pot is hot, add oil then add the crushed garlic. Saute the garlic until fragant then add the prawn shells.
3. Turn to high heat and start frying the prawn shells until fragrant. Lightly season the shells with salt and pepper. Then add water, bring to the boil then simmering for 30 minutes. Skimming while simmering the stock.
4. After 30 minutes, you prawn stock is now ready, remove the prawn shells, and add slices of lemongrass, galangal, corriander roots, tear and bruise the kaffir lime leaves right before add the to stock. If you like spicy, you can add chillies as well.
5. Add fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, adjust the seasonning to your taste.
6. Add in tomatoes wedges, your choice of mushroom and cooked prawn. I cook the prawn seperately because if you cook the prawn in the soup it will become cloudy,
7. And you Tom Yum is ready! Serve immediately with rice or try it with instant noodles! it is really good!