Every time I cook Thai food, I always intrigued by the similarity of this cuisine to Vietnamese’s. We pretty much share the same taste profile as well as the common ingredients. My Thai Shrimp Cake recipe today is an example for it.
In Vietnam, we also have Shrimp Cake, we usually call it “Chạo Tôm”, even though the method of making Chạo Tôm is similar to Thai Shrimp Cake, but there is one unique ingredient that really elevate the fragrant of Thai Shrimp Cake and this is Kaffir Lime Leaves.
Thai Shrimp Cake is truly a celebrate dish to make, it is quick, easy, fun to make and of course absolutely delicious. All you need is a food processor, throw everything together, quack up the machine and it is already done.
(Recipe video coming this Saturday)
Thai Shrimp Cake
Serving 2-4 people
|Prep time||Cook time|
|20 mins||5 mins|
|Kaffir lime leaves||3|
1. Crush and peel the garlic, peel and cut the shallot into slices, chop up the coriander roots, remove the sterm and thinly cut the kaffir lime leaves.
2. Remove the shells and devein the shrimp, then cut into small pieces. Pork belly remove the skin then cut into small pieces.
3. Place the shrimp and pork belly into freezer for around 45 mins, so they are lightly freeze, this will help the texture of the prawn cakes.
4. After 45 mins, remove them from the freezer and transfer to a food processor together with crushed garlic, shallot and coriander roots.
5. Then add the seasoning, fish sauce, sesame oil, sugar, coconut cream. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper. the close the lid and start blend everything together.
6. Let’s the food processor blend everything until it is sticky and well blended, a bit gooey in the touch then it is done,
7. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the cut kaffir lime leaves. To shape the prawn cakes, add some oil to your hands and mold it into a circular shape. You can also add a coriander leaves as garnish.
8. Place a pan over medium heat, when the pan is hot, add some oil then add the prawn cakes. Cook both side until golden brown and completely cooked.
9. Then your Thai Prawn Cake is done! Enjoy hot with steamed rice and sweet chillies sauce.