Clay Pot Rice is a very famous and popular dish in Hong Kong. Due to it simplicity yet robust in flavour, I can assure that this recipe will bring a lot of join and complement to your dining table.
Traditionally, as the name suggests, Clay Pot Rice is cooked in a clay pot. While modern rice cooker will provide easier and quicker solution, personally I still prefer a good old clay pot since not only it will keep all the ingredients nice and hot, but also create a deliciously crisp layer of rice across the bottom. This crispy layer of goodness is probably one of the reason Clay Pot Rice is so loved.
Without further adieu, let’s join me in the kitchen and cook up your Clay Pot Rice today!!!
(Recipe video below)
Clay Pot Rice
Serving 4 people
|Prep time||Cook time|
|15 mins||20 mins|
|Jasmin rice||2 cup|
|Chicken Stock||2 cup|
|Chicken thigh (boneless)||250gm|
|Dark soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|Shaoxing wine||2 tbsp|
|Sesame oil||2 tbsp|
|Oyster sauce||2 tbsp|
|Corn flour||1 tbsp|
1. Soak the rice for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, strain out the rice and set aside. By Soaking the rice, it will help to cook faster and more evenly.
2. Rehydrate Shiitake in warm water. When rehydrated, thinly slice the Shiitake, and set aside.
3. Cut the Chinese sausage into thin slices.
4. Cut the boneless chicken thigh into bite size pieces. Then combine dark soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, oyster sauce and corn flour in a bowl. Marinate the chicken in the mixture.
5. Place a clay pot over medium high heat. Add some oil and stir fry the minced ginger and garlic until fragrant. Then add the Chinese sausage, sliced Shiitake and dried shrimp.
6. Stir fry until all the ingredient is fragrant, remove from the clay pot, set aside. Add some more oil and then add the rice.
7. Stir fry the rice, make sure all the grain is coated with the flavoured oil. Then add the chicken stock.
8. Bring the pot to the boil, the reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Let the rice cook for 10 mins. After 10 mins open and stir lightly.
9. Then top the rice with the Chinese sausage, shiitake, dried shrimp and the marinaded chicken. Cover and cook for another 10 mins or until the chicken is fully cooked.
10. After the chicken is cooked, turn off the heat, add in your choice of veggies (optional) I used Choy Sum and cover the lid again.
11. To make a quick sauce combine soy sauce with sweet soy sauce and pour over the Clay Pot Rice. Mix up everything together and enjoy!!!